[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lew's video meteor system

On Sirko's comments:
>As for image distortion I don't see any problems. Usually you will use
>some photo lens, which all work very well. Both the distortion of the lens
>and of the image intensifier has to be considered during the reduction of
>meteor images, anyway.

I agree if this means geometrical distortion - it is easy to correct in a
subsequent computer analysis. However, image distortion - i.e. point stars
not being points at the edge of the field of view (FOV), but elongated
blobs - is annoying and should be reduced. We are currently working on the
magnitude calibration of one of the video cameras developed by the IMO a
while ago (IMCA). This distortion (I guess it's coma) needs to be taken
into account for quite a large part of the FOV. Now try a magnitude
determination of a meteor - which is moving across the FOV and might well
be at the edge, giving a distorted image.

Surely it is possible to get around this, but if I were to find a lens
which has less distortion, I would be willing to pay more money just to
save me some work and reduce possible errors, especially in the magnitude
determination.

Detlef.

Detlef Koschny                      email: dkoschny@estec.esadot nl
European Space Agency
ESTEC Sci/SO
Keplerlaan 1                              phone: +31-71-565-4828
NL-2201 AZ Noordwijk ZH                     fax: +31-71-565-4697

Follow-Ups: References: