[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Introduction

Jin Zhu wrote:
> Do you have any CCD images with meteors? (Or is there anyone know this
> on web?)

Not yet.  I am trying to inquire if CFHT telescope has accidently taken
any.  They have a large array ccd camera and I know a scientist that
used to work on the camera and telescope.

>I always wonder what it would look like, for the usually small
> field of view of CCD. Should it be just a straight line like those of
> satellites (some satellite trails may have obvious magnitude variations)
> or it would be some line with changing width? I think that I saw something
> before from my CCD image which might be a meteor (when observing other
> objects), but I can not find it out at this moment.

The appearance of a meteor on a long exposure device is primarily a
function of the optics and the use of either ccd, film or some other
imaging detector should not influence the appearance so long as you
consider how the device renders intensity data.

There are amateur satellite trackers who have much knowledge of
satellite optical signatures.  They can also provide satellite orbital
elements for those that are not accurately reported or updated.

Software such as TRACKSAT or SATTRACK (I can't clearly remeber the name
or spelling) can be a big assistance to pplan observations or identify
possible satellites in photos.

Clear skies

John