[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Kaigorod and brecciation

<< I recently obtained a beautiful brecciated sample of Kaigorod from Mike
 Farmer which prompts the following question.   We are assuming that the
 brecciated nature of this and other meteorites is the result of impact at
 some earlier time.  However, the metalflake in this meteorite is relatively
 evenly distributed throughout all portions of the breccia.  Is this even
 distribution the result of heating in the atmosphere or is there some other
 explanation for its presence and even distribution?  Does anyone know the
 current explanation for this phenomenon? >>

According to Phillip Bagnall's book (is he here?):

"Brecciation may occur at two stages in the history of the meteorite:
1. On the parent body during crustal or mantle movements (monomict) or because
of an impact of another body (polymict).
2.while the meteoroid is in space as a result of a collision with a second
meteoroid (polymict)."

Hope this helps.

Kevin K