[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #642

Hpukala wrote:
>In which direction of the sky would one be able to see the Lyrids and how far
>above the horizon.  Thanks

From my experience, I would say that meteors from a radiant (the point
where meteors of a shower appear to converge in the sky - Lyra) can and
will appear anywhere in the sky no matter which direction you are
looking. As a usual rule of thumb, I will face about 60-70 degree up from
the horizon and about 20-30 degrees away from the radiant. At this
distance, the meteors are most easy to pick up by the eye. Meteors close
to the radiant tend to be more numerous but smaller and shorter since
they are coming head on to you. Meteors far away from radiant are longer
and sometimes more spectacular but appear less frequently.

One thing to keep in mind is that I rarely keep my eyes in a restricted
area of the sky without moving. If I do so, I sometimes get bored and
sleepy I'll occasionally allow my eyes to look elsewhere in the sky as
long as I keep returning to my area of choice for most the observation.
If you are doing a report for data study, then it is important to note
the time when you stop looking at the sky for a break, to write notes,
look at your watch, and so on.

In the case of the Lyrids, radiant is best placed, highest point in the
pre-dawn hours before morning twilight. The higher the radiant, the more
meteors you will see. If you look, early evening and the radiant is low
from your location, you will likely see little if any meteors. The later
you observe, the better the meteors and the shower will be.

It is often thought that by looking straight up, you will see more
meteors.
This is not really true since by looking lower your eyes "see" through
thicker atmosphere and increases your chances of getting more meteors.
Be careful not to look too low so that you start looking into haze that
will decrease your chances. You want to observe in the darkest area in the
sky while not facing straight up. I usually observe between 50 and 80
degrees up depending on sky conditions. (about slighly higher than mid
point between the horizon and the highest point). I rarely look lower
than 50 degrees since haze and light pollution would almost certainly
decrease my ability to spot faint meteors.

I usually set up to face south east on most observing sessions depending
on which shower I'm observing. From my usual location south of the Ottawa
airport, most of the sky facing north towards the city is heavily light
polluted, so I definitely want to face away from any city lights that
will reduce the number of meteors. As much as possible, try to avoid
lights of any kind or at least face away from them.

Hope this helps.
Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario in the Great White North
Meteor observing and Graphic design