[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) April 20/21 observation(fireballs!)

Hi!

Just got a gorgeous night (April 20/21) of observing! Quite a bit more
activity than Saturday night. I could hardly ask for anything more from
my site below the airport. Best limiting magnitude so far this year at
that location. Did not decode my data yet and quite tired now so I will
summarize briefly the main aspects.

location: Ottawa, Onatario (75d 39.05 West; Lat: 45d 17.25 North)
total time (teff): about 5.5 hours
limiting magnitude (average): about 6.1
100% clear

LYRIDS
Picking up in activity. Did not see anything too spectacular from
them. I saw between 2-6 visual per hour. Brightest was a long 18d
of mag 0. Many short, faint meteors and no trains. Rates appeared
to decline later in the night despite the radiant gaining height.I
expect (and hope) rates to be quite better tonight for the max.

LIBRIDS/MU VIRGINIDS
Definitely activity coming from these radiants. Actually saw a handfull
of medium speed meteors from this area. Plotted most of them. Saw one very
nice magnitude -1 MVI on a long path.

ALPHA BOOTIDS
Just keeping an eye out for these possible slow meteors. I dont think I
saw any but will confirm after checking my plots.

BETA CORONA AUSTRALIDS
Saw a handful of fast and very fast, occasionally long meteors apparently
coming from around Scorpius (especially late at night). Again, will have
to check my plots.

ETA AQUARIDS AND MAY CAPRICORNIDS
For this, I really need to check my plots. In the last hour before dawn,
I noticed very fast, trained meteors coming from Capricornus and Aquarius.
Just the classic, typical meteors usually observed during these showers.

SPORADICS
Last but certainly not least, perhaps most importantly. I saw a -5
fireball
around 1:30 local that nearly blew me away!! A bright, medium speed, white
"ball" coming from the north. It produced an 8 sec train. WOW! Besides
that, overall I'd say a little more sporadics, and brighter ones compared
to previous nights.I think darker skies helped. Saw a couple of "skipping
in the atmosphere" sporadics early.

?? QUESTION ??
Does my -5 sporadic fireball qualify for a seperate fireball report to
the Fireball Data Center? I believe I noted all the required data and I
have it plotted.

OVERALL
It was a good night and well worth the effort and the lack of sleep.
Tonight
looks very promising. I should have a good view of the Lyrids and other
activity for the rest of the week. Finally, clear sky is cooperating with
me. I cant wait to go out tonight, likely for the whole night!

I'll post my results on meteorobs.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario in the Great White North
Meteor observing and Graphic design