[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LYRIDS APR 21/22, 1998

       April 21/22, 1998

       Greetings to all (esp. to the list-newbies) -

        Well, it's been since the 97-Perseids with the Nodot calif group & Dr
     Jenniskens that I have had the chance to go out and observe... Last
     night I traveled up to Geo Zay's observatory to watch the Lyrids and
     we couldn't have had better conditions.  Crytal clear skies all night
     and fairly mild temps as well, . (we guestimate it was ~52-56deg F
     thruout the obs session).  As dark as it was, I immediately noticed
     the beautiful paint job George had given his cool 3-story
     observtory...

        I observed from 2200-0300 (Local time, PDT), faced NE at altitude of
     ~60deg the whole night and counted a total of exactly 70 meteors..(37 LYR,
     1 SAG, 32 SPO).  ~Teff = 4.5hr with an  AVG Lm = 6.1..

        Certainly the highlight of the session was a wonderous -3 Lyrid (at 0131
     PDT, 0831 UT).  George thinks his camera with the spectral prism may have
     captured the event.  At < 1-2 deg from the radiant, this was as close to a
     "POINT FIREBALL" Ive experinced... VERY COOL! I'd be interested if any
     other observers saw this.

       A full formal report to NAMN/IMO/MeteorObs-list to follow in a few
     days...

       Lookin' forward to the upcoming ETAs!

       Clear skies to ALL,

       Joseph Assmus