[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lyrids/George's rope trick

Hello everybody,

A short while ago, George Zay reported a little 'trick' with an
"observing cord" on meteorobs.
During last Lyrid maximum, both Erwin van Ballegoij and I have employed
such an "observing cord", and....we are very enthousiastic about it!!! It
turned especially usefull for meteors appearing at considerable distance
to the radiant. And it helped me solve some cases of 'not quite sure if'
into 'quite sure that'...!

So, I (again) want to recommend this technique to all of you! From now
on, such a cord will be standard equipment for me during observing
without plotting.

In my case, I used a long dark coloured shoe-string, with a loop at one end,
and the other end tied directly to my left thumb in order not having to
grapple for it in my sleeping bag every time. It turned out to be no
nuisance at all, and the benefits of the little gimmick quickly became
quite obvious to me. So George: thanks for the idea! And the other
readers: make such a thing yourself, and use it to your advantage!

-Marco