[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lyrid peak

Hi all...
Relative newbie here....
I've been watching the Perseid shower for the last 3-4 years as an absoloute
amature..dot been following meteorobs since last Aug. About a month ago,I
attended one of the IRC chats and met Bob Lundsford. Bob was gracious enough
to Invite me to his dark sky site in the California Desert to observe this
years Lyrid peak.
In 2 nites of hainging out in the desert with Bob, and Dave Holman, I learned
much about astronomy, and Meteor observation.
After playing telephone tag with Bob for a few days, we finally connected, and
made our plans... On Monday, 4-20-98 I drove to the site in the desert, east
of Barstow, Ca. and found Dave Holman already there....  I accidentally ran
over a sidewinder rattlesnake after turning on to the dirt road that lead to
our camp...By Late afternoon we had our tent up, and the car unloaded, Bob
arrived a short time later.
By early evening Bob and Dave had me in school, discussing magnitude,
positions of important constillations, and rising radiants... as darkness
approached, Bob announced that in a few minuets, a sattillite would be arcing
overhead...and used that expierence to demonstrate magnitude....Cool...
After napping for a while, we all arose about midnite, local time and got
settled in for what Bob said was a relativly slow nite of observing...I
thought it was awsome...
I didn't count, but I found out later that Bob had counted mine...he said that
I had reported about 40. The best of which was a sporadic, appearing from the
WNW. about mag -2 pretty bright  8-10 deg sparkiling trian lasting 2-3
seconds, falling slowly to the north. Shortly after The guys went to bed I saw
what I assume to be a Lyrid, almost directly overhead, travilling west. Only
8-10 deg, very breif, and travelling relativly fast. Probably about mag +1 or
2 But electric blue...very pretty.
When the sun came up, I crashed for a few hours, and on rising, Dave invited
My friend Carol and I to go rock hounding near our camp...The wildflowers were
beautiful, and Carole spotted a large desert tortose, just as I almost stepped
on it.
Later that afternoon Bob showed everyone Venus and Jupiter during broad
daylight, with a pair of binoculars...awsome...
Tuesday evening, while Bob and Dave napped, Carol and I set up to start
observing.
obviously things were pretty slow before the radiant rose, but we saw a few...
About midnite local time the guys arose, and we regrouped...for the balance of
the nite I saw about 70 meteors....guessing about 25% SPO 75% LYR.
Spectacular!
I observed till after Cassiopia was no longer visible due to the Rising Sun.
I know that this Information is of little scientific value, but I had such a
great time that I had to share... Hopefully, with the Informatoin and guidance
given by Bob Lundsford, and Dave Holman, My next session will result in
reportable data.
Once again I'd like to thank Bob and Dave for such a great time. (maybe I
don't get out much...)  and am very much looking forward to hooking up again
in the future.
Many thanks, and clear dark skies to all.... Don Barnett, Laguna Hills, Ca.