[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) report DMS meeting 25 April

> Following this, Sirko demonstrated his demo-software simulating a meteor
> storm on the screen. They used it to test how many meteors per second are
> still well estimated. According to their very interresting results, the
> 1966 data might actually have been underestimated rather then
> oversetimated! But the discussion made clear that there still are some
> pittfalls attached to the whole issue. Anyway, his dem0-programm is
> marvelous: just like tru meteors shooting across the sky! Even sporadics
> and satellites appear from time to time...!

Glad that someone has done this.  A few years ago I did try to get a
couple planetaria interested both for a topical presentation in
1998/99 and also as a way for observers to practise dealing with high
rates.  Then more recently, it was obvious that such a simulation might
shed light on the heated 1966 peak-rate dispute.  Well done Sirko.

Please can we have some implementation details.  Could the (presumed)
smaller field of view compared with the typically >100 degrees under
the stars affect the conclusions regarding 1966?

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: