[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) report DMS meeting 25 April

Malcolm,

> Glad that someone has done this.  A few years ago I did try to get a
> couple planetaria interested both for a topical presentation in
> 1998/99 and also as a way for observers to practise dealing with high
> rates.  Then more recently, it was obvious that such a simulation might
> shed light on the heated 1966 peak-rate dispute.  Well done Sirko.

thanks. :-)

> Please can we have some implementation details.  Could the (presumed)
> smaller field of view compared with the typically >100 degrees under
> the stars affect the conclusions regarding 1966?

The meteors are equally distributed within the field of view. So you can
concentrate on one quarter of the screen and multiply your estimates by
four, if you think that helps.
The Dutch guys reported that you have almost a complete field of you if
only you sit close enough to the monitor. I did not check that myself, but
I guess the ultimate simulation condition would be to project the computer
screen on a large wall. Unfortunately, during the AKM spring meeting in
March the video projector failed just 5 minutes before the
demonstration...

Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *                          *

Follow-Ups: References: