[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) report DMS meeting 25 April

Sirko replied to my message:

> > Please can we have some implementation details.  Could the (presumed)
> > smaller field of view compared with the typically >100 degrees under
> > the stars affect the conclusions regarding 1966?
>
> The meteors are equally distributed within the field of view. So you can
> concentrate on one quarter of the screen and multiply your estimates by
> four, if you think that helps.

So are you advocating that visual observers wear blinkers?  I'm not
convinced that you can merely scale up, when distracted by a sky full of
meteors.  There has to be a correction for the finite length of
meteors too.  Your field of view is effectively larger.

> The Dutch guys reported that you have almost a complete field of you if
> only you sit close enough to the monitor.

but you're not focussed at anything like infinity.  Now this may not be
a factor, but if you are trying to simulate 1966, you need to make it
as close as possible so that people will have confidence in your
conclusions.

> I did not check that myself, but
> I guess the ultimate simulation condition would be to project the computer
> screen on a large wall.

I'd like to see this, hence my suggestion of a planetarium.

> Unfortunately, during the AKM spring meeting in
> March the video projector failed just 5 minutes before the
> demonstration...

Typical.

I look forward to reading more about your experiments.

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: