[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Radiant Diameters

<<
 GZ> > By any chance does anyone have the radiant diameters for the following
three
 GZ> > meteor showers? I can't seem to find their diameters being listed
anywhere?

 GZ> > The Pi-Puppids

 The IMO Calendar says 5 degrees.  That may be nominal. As Marco says,
 the data are sparse.  My recollection of the 1977 display was more
 like 3 degrees.

 ML> The Draconids are known to have a very thight radiant of less than one
 ML> degree (!), actually in the order of 12'. That resulted from mono-station
 ML> photographic results on the 1946 Draconid storm

 Isn't this like the Quadrantids, where the radiant shrinks as the ZHR
 increases?  Again the IMO Calendar has 5 degrees.

Ahhh...I was looking in the Tables of the IMO Calendar and didn't think to
look at the write ups of the showers that were written about. Not all showers
for any given year in the calendar get special attention and have the details
written about them. I keep a copy of the 1996 IMO calendar that has the
radiant diameters listed in the table. Since then the IMO calendar stopped
listing the diameters. I suppose it was due to room or something? I lookled in
the new edition of IMO's Meteor Observing Handbook and it wasn't useful in
regards to listing radiant diameters. thanks.
George Zay