[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN Notes: May 1998

********************
NAMN Notes: May 1998
********************

You might be wondering "What the heck is this email about?" Well, I have
received a few requests for a more regular "update" on news and such from
some of the membership. So I thought I would give this NAMN Notes idea a
try for a few months.

This monthly mailing will be patterned after a weekly "memo" distributed
where I work called the "Weekend Update." It is a "short and sweet" listing
of news, thoughts, reminders, etc. Don't expect any fancy formatting here,
just a 1,2,3 type listing of stuff.

I will run it for a few months, with its continued existence based on
feedback from the readers. So let me know what you think...good or bad. If
you would like to have something included, pass that on to me too. So here
goes:

1. Eta Aquarids on our doorstep: don't forget these meteors this coming
week. Moon is not too great for them, but it is a nice shower to watch,
especially the farther south your latitude is. If you need some more info
on them, try one or more of these web sites:

American Meteor Society: http://www.serve.com/meteors
Dutch Meteor Society: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm
International Meteor Organization: http://www.imodot net/
North American Meteor Network: http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html

2. From the business world - P.P.P.P.P.P.P. is an abbreviation for "Proper
Prior Planning Prevents P@#$ Poor Performance." NOW is the time to begin
planning your Leonid campaign in November. Also, while planning, don't
forget the Draconids of October. Just maybe they will "roar" too? And don't
forget to pass on your observations to me for the archive and to share with
the world.

3. Anybody know the phone number or address of Thom Morgan in Clayton,
North Carolina? If so, drop me a line in private at the address below.

4. Kim Hay is anxious to hear from you party-goers planning on stopping by
Green Bank for the NAMN meeting. You can contact her at:

kimhay@adan.kingstondot net

5. 1998 Lyrids - there are still some reports I am waiting to get, but so
far six observers have reported some of their results. The earliest Lyrid
was reported by Pierre Martin (Ontario) on April 18/19. In all, we picked
up 110 Lyrids in a little more than 24 hours of observing.

6. NAMN member Mike Boschat (Nova Scotia) has reported extensive radio
observations for the month of April. He detected April Piscids, Lyrids, and
Eta Aquarids. To see the full report, visit his web site at:

http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed

7. Don't forget to send your April reports in for archiving.

Until next time,

-Mark Davis