[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) report DMS meeting 25 April

Malcolm,

> > The meteors are equally distributed within the field of view. So you can
> > concentrate on one quarter of the screen and multiply your estimates by
> > four, if you think that helps.
>
> So are you advocating that visual observers wear blinkers?  I'm not
> convinced that you can merely scale up, when distracted by a sky full of
> meteors.  There has to be a correction for the finite length of
> meteors too.  Your field of view is effectively larger.

it was just a suggestion how you might cope with storm-like rates.
I have not yet thought in detail about possible side effects from that.

> but you're not focussed at anything like infinity.  Now this may not be
> a factor, but if you are trying to simulate 1966, you need to make it
> as close as possible so that people will have confidence in your
> conclusions.

You're perfectly right. This was the reason why I decided to improve the
simple meteor simulation of Hartwig Luethen at all!

> I look forward to reading more about your experiments.

... hopefully in the next issue of WGN.
BTW, last weekend I brought WGN 2/98 to Potsdam, so it should be in your
mail soon.

Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *                          *