[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Solar activity and meteors (reply)

That was a very interesting post by Rainer.  It's always welcome to see
hypotheses put to the test with our data.

> Year  sporadic hourly rate
> 1984  14.8
> [snip]
> 1997  15.3

Rainer, were you able to compute approximate error bars?  (Old chesnut
I know!)

Do you think that the lunar phase affects the scatter from year to
year?  The above analysis does assume sporadic rates are constant
through July.  Also in the early years the minor-shower lists were
somewhat longer than the modern IMO list.  Are we comparing like with
like?  You've probably accounted for the last of these.  I'd like
to understand more of what's behind the numbers to judge whether or
not they're saying anything statistically significant.

As Rainer says, it's just a quick look and something we should
address after more solar cycles.

Malcolm