[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: 22 April Fireball (Ed Majden)

Ed,

In reference to your post of 22 April 1998,

>Another fireball was observed over Vancouver Island, Washington State and
>mainland British Columbia at 21:22 PDT on April 22.  We would be interested
>in receiving any reports on this fireball.  Information required is as
follows: ,

have you received any observer reports?  The UFO crowd is going nutso over
this one.  Listening to descriptions on you-know-who's radio program, it is
an obvious meteor to me.  As usual, the uninitiated have no idea what it was
and are drawing impossible inferences about its true altitude and distance.
Putting together contradictory directions of travel has caused conclusions
of the fireball making turns and hovering over military sites.  It evidently
had a bright wake for part of the path.

Meanwhile, the cause of our very smoky air here has been in the news today :
forest fires in Mexico.  I was beginning to wonder why it doesn't go away no
matter which way the wind is blowing.   The sky is rather white, the sun
turns orange well before setting, and the moon appears slightly orange day
or night.  Sky LM in town tonight is about 2.5.  It's been like this since
the beginning of April, but it thinned out somewhat for some of the Eta
Aquarid period.  Mexico needs rain to put the fires out, and it's also fire
season here in a typical spring drought.

Norman