[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) May 15/16 obs. LANMA

Hi to all,

Below my data of last night.

After a very long stretch of bad weather (whole of April and March)
summer arrived with a bang last week. Tropical temperatures at 29C.
Things have cooled down now (25C), cirrus disappeared, and so I finally
had the opportunity to do a 1h40m session last night. I started at 21:30
UT in late twilight, after first checking the northern horizon for
possible NLC (negative), and continued untill about 15 minutes after
moonrise. Night temperatures were very pleasant so I could do with my
army jersey only instead of sleeping bag etc. Sky quality was good, with
Lm up to +6.2. My nocturnal friends the bats visited me a few times, and
a few frogs broke the silence of the night. Very pleasant after such a
long time of inactivity (after Feb. 18 I only have been able to observe
on March 23/24 and April 22/23 due to the weather)! Meteor activity
remained modest. No real eye-catching events. Brightest meteors were two
+2's at 22:03 and 22:56 UT. No Scorpiids seen, but radiants are very low.

Due to the extremely long period of bad weather this spring, this was
only my 10th observational night this year. I now logged 320 meteors in
21.5h effective. Hope to catch a few more coming weeks!

Most likely Koen (Miskotte) has been observing too: he was preparing for
that when we phoned in the late afternoon. Prospects for tonight look
good too, so if possible I will be out again.

Cheers!

-Marco Langbroek (the Netherlands)    :-)

Obs.: Marco Langbroek         LANMA
loc.: Voorschoten (the Netherlands), 52d07'N, 4d28'E
date: May 15/16, 1998

UT            Teff   Lm    aSco  oSco  Spo
21:30-22:20   0.80   6.1    0     0     6
22:20-23:15   0.87   6.2    0     0     8

TOTAL         1.67  <6.2>   0     0     14     14

            +2   +3   +4   +5   +6
Sporadics    2    5    5    2    0      <3.5>