[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations May 15/16 and 17/18

Hi!

Well, I observed (May 15/16) for the first time since the last day of
April.
I decided to drive over one hour myself to check out this new dark
location south of Ottawa near Winchester. What a great new site...quiet,
dark limiting magnitude 6.4 skies (all depending on the individual's
vision), trees in the north side to shield the large, flat field from
wind and LOTS of space for cars and equipment. The site is an animal
conservation area so nobody bothers us (except we still dont know which
animals live there!). Despite a fairly long drive, it is still very
accessible. I arrived there to discover I was not alone as another
observer was present with his scope. I'm thinking of dumping the old site
near the Ottawa airport in favor of darker skies when I plan to observe
at least a couple hours.

Cathy, just give me a call if you want to go there some clear night.

Anyway, got one hour teff in the evening right up till moonrise. Shower
activity was low. Some nice long sporadics were seen but nothing really
bright. I got one Alpha Scorpiid and one likely Gamma Capricornid. Here
below is the data:

DATE: May 15/16 1998                      BEGIN: 3:25 UT  END: 4:30 UT
LOCATION: Long: 75d 28.79 West; Lat: 45d 04.93 North   Elevation: 395feet
City & Province: South Mountain, Ontario, CAN

PERIOD(UT)  FIELD   Teff   F     LM    ASC GCA WCA ACA ETA CAU MVI SPO
3:25-4:30   SE70de  1.00  1.00   6.22   1   1   0   0   0   0   0   6  = 8

I observed last night at the same location before moonrise. My 2.30 teff
observation produced a good number of sporadics and a bit of activity
from the Alpha scorpiids. Nothing else appeared active. Brightest meteor
was a long -2 SPO with a nice train.

DATE: May 17/18 1998                       BEGIN: 3:35 UT  END: 6:00 UT
LOCATION: Long: 75d 28.79 West; Lat: 45d 04.93 North   Elevation: 395feet
City & Province: South Mountain, Ontario, CAN

PERIOD(UT)  FIELD   Teff   F     LM    ASC GCA WCA ACA ETA CAU MVI SPO
3:35-4:35   SE70de  0.96  1.00   6.28   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   7
3:25-4:30   SE70de  1.34  1.00   6.17   2   0   0   0   0   0   0   11 =
21

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN
Meteor observing and Graphic design