[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Another failed Observing Session

Kevin wrote:

>No Good last night. I got up to the Observatory about 11:40 PM and the
>whole sky was filled with cirrus radiating out of the east. So I just sat
>and watched for fun.

This just happened to me last night (18/19). Looked too good to be
true..clear blue skies, not one mosquito, no wind, moon rising much
later, drove one hour to my dark sky site, and within minutes of
arriving.....AAAARRRG! Clouds coming out of nowhere!

Keep trying.

>There was a funny little coincedence - I saw 3 meteors within
>20 minutes (0009, 0017, 0025) all come out of an area centered on 14h 31m
>and +30.22 near rho Bootis. One was a nice slow -1mag. orange one. Is
>there any minor shower coming there? I want to be careful not to suggest
>anything tho.

The only thing that comes to mind is a minor shower listed on the old
lists. The Tau Herculids are active with an unconfirmed peak either
June 3 or 9. I think lack of visual support for this shower in past years
is the reason why it has been dropped from the recent lists. I have no
idea how early these possible candidates may be seen and I know very
little about their velocities. But their radiant, in northern Bootes
right now could perhaps be quite close to your proposed radiant.

I should take the precaution to say after all this that those 3 meteors
are much more likely chance alignment by sporadics. I have had this
happen
to me a number of times. I'll check out an unexpected burst of meteors
the next year at the same time and I usually wont see anything.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN
Meteor observing and Graphic design