[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) haze

Kim Hay wrote:

> If once they get the fires extinguished, how long before the skies
> would clear. I am just wondering, would this force the smoke off to
> another direction?

Normally in Louisiana, by May we have our "summer weather pattern" going
-- beautifully clear mornings, with clouds building to scattered
thunderstorms in the afternoons, and clearing around dusk or shortly
thereafter.  This year we haven't had significant rain for weeks.  We
hope to get some this weekend, and I hope that may clear out some of the
haze.  The local media meteorologists are also saying that the smoke is
beginning to clear, being blown to the east and west of us.

On the other hand, Polaris and even some major constellations were
barely visible last night with no sign of cloudiness, so what
meteorologists and astronomers mean by "clearing' may be different!

This morning on the way to work, I noticed that the sky for about 45
degrees azimuth on either side of the sun was basically white instead of
blue, and on either side of that up to about 20 degrees altitude, the
sky was somewhat brown.  Not promising!

I haven't seen a meteor in a couple of weeks, and none of the local
amateur astronomers have mentioned seeing any, either.

Dave

Follow-Ups: References: