[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) haze

> Subject:       (meteorobs) haze

Hi Dave!!

> haze.  The local media meteorologists are also saying that the smoke is
> beginning to clear, being blown to the east and west of us.

Well that is good news, however even if it is blown out to sea so to
speak, it still must rise to the upper atmosphere and stay for quite
awhile. I wonder how long it takes to dissipate.

This would also go in line if a meteor would hit the earth and spray
dust and smoke into the atmosphere. I am sure that scientists have
studied the effects of volcano ash in the atmosphere, to calculate
how long it would take to dissipate but not sure what their findings
are.

> On the other hand, Polaris and even some major constellations were
> barely visible last night with no sign of cloudiness, so what
> meteorologists and astronomers mean by "clearing' may be different!

I am sure there is a great difference. Much like when the
meteorologists say x% cloud, as astronomers take it as a washed out
observing session.

> This morning on the way to work, I noticed that the sky for about 45
> degrees azimuth on either side of the sun was basically white instead of
> blue, and on either side of that up to about 20 degrees altitude, the
> sky was somewhat brown.  Not promising!

Has there been any measurement on what the concentration is like.
Much like a smog count ? I think in Los Angeles they have a smog
report throughout the day, just wondering if they are counting the
smoke the same way.

> I haven't seen a meteor in a couple of weeks, and none of the local
> amateur astronomers have mentioned seeing any, either.

It will be clear soon. It must be clear for July: )  Hope you can
make it to the East Coast NAMN get together.

Kim

Moonlight Cascade Observatory/BBS
44.28.28N 76.29.45W
Astronomy-RASC,ALPO/AAVSO-Solar Section