[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Breaking up Meteors or Space Junk? -Singapore s

John Ohrt wrote:

Re-entry prediction is very tricky, but those tracking can predict
emminent re-entry based on the increased rate of "decay" of some orbital
parameters such as perigee and apogee.  Obviously when you can no longer
detect it, you can assume re-entry.  What I don't know is where one
would go to seek such information to rule out junk from meteors in a
bright event.
--
John Ohrt *** Toronto, ON, Canada *** mailto:johrt@ultidot net

John,
	There are quite a number of people who watch satellites just as we
etc.
	Several of them have created tracking programs, and using easily
obtainable elements you can track and predict satellite passes, and object
decays (the larger stuff anyway). One gentleman (Alan Pickup) specifically
keeps track of objects about to decay...someday I'll get my satellite
prediction program running so I can use the numbers he puts up.
	All of them have been very helpful in checking whether any fireballs
reported could have been known spacejunk. If you'd like more info, e me

Wayne