[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Are meteors audible?

>Ron,
>	Large meteors (generally Fireballs brighter than moon, or visible in
>daylight) can produce sonic booms, and possible explosion sounds. Due to
>the height (and horizontal distance) at which these occur, this thunder
>like sound will occur many seconds, or a few minutes later. {sound travels
>appx 1 mile per 5 seconds, fireballs shatter generally 5-25 miles up..then
>add the ground displacement}.
>	There is also limited evidence for "electrophonic" sounds of buzzing
>or hissing, whech are suspected to be electromagnetic in nature...as such
>they travel at the speed of light; for all intents and purposes
>instantaneously at these distances. Suggested means of hearing these are:
>metallic objects detecting the radio wave and converting it to sound (sort
>of like an old crystal radio), and possible, although less securely shown
>to exist, direct stimulation of the nervous system in the ears or brain by
>the electromagnetic pulse. Not too much is known, since these are very rare
>events.
>
>Wayne

This topic about audible meteors has always facsinated me after seeing
one myself at young age. I cant recall the exact date, but it was an
early
July '85 evening. I was just sitting in a chair counting satellites when
just before going back inside, saw this monstrous thick fireball streak
for a couple seconds. It was close to the brightness of the moon and left
a persistent train. Almost instantly, I heard a deep, clear "whooshhh",
just like the sound of the flame burning from a hot air balloon passing
low on top of you. I immediately related this "combustion" sound with the
meteor. There was nobody, nothing else outside, around me so I was
convinced. Years later, after gaining more knowledge about meteors, I
realized a big problem with my observation. The sound I heard would have
normaly taken many seconds or minutes to reach me after the sighting.
This left me puzzled. Later, after reading about "electrophonic" meteors
in an article, I realized something else: my backyard at the time had
poles and electrical wires passing very close above me.

Did I witness a potential "phonic" meteor or were my senses and
imagination simply playing tricks on me ? Did anyone else think
they saw and "heard" a meteor simultaneously ?

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN
Meteor observing and Graphic design