[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) haze

Kevin, I think you are upside down here. There are not as many eyes looking UP at the sky....many observing sites now have AWOS (Automated weather observing stations), so humans are being downsized out of the sky observing business. The measurement devices (LIDAR) have trouble with thin clouds.Fair is defined as few or no clouds below 12,000 ft. Has nothing to do  with clear, I'm afraid.. However, when it says clear, rather than fair, it is clearer than fair :->
	Satellite pix are still examined by humans (even us, thanks to the weather channel)  as well as machines; the machine data is now input into the numerical weather prediction programs and have increased accuracy.
	However, it is certainly true that clear means different things to a weatherman forecasting to the general public, than it does to we who wish to peer out to the other side.

Wayne