[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Our recent mailing (was Re: The Nov. 98 Meteor Shower)

>On the 25th we sent out a message/request, which we consider of great
>importance. We have only received one comment which did not even address
>the key question in the manner which we expected.
>
>Please advise if we used a wrong (by your group's standards) approach or
>if our question, by the same standards, was  not worth considering.

Hi, Miguel - no, there was nothing wrong with the format or topic of your post.
However, you may perhaps find a better response to your queries if you first
spend some time investigating the annual Leonid meteor shower (the shower which
is predicted to POSSIBLY storm in either November '98 or November '99) on your
own first. This may help you frame your questions better.

Also, the meteor shower which you describe - or the publication "O Publico",
which is unknown to me, describes - as a "hoax" is in fact the annual Perseids,
another meteor shower which occurs every year in August, and HAS been known to
produce unexpected "outbursts" (very minor "storms") some years - e.g., 1993.

If you'd like to learn more about meteor showers generally, try:
        http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg

If you'd like to learn more about the Leonids (the November shower), and the
possibility of a storm from them in particular, see:
        http://www-space.arc.nasadot gov/~leonid

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer