[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FWD: Meteor or something else?

Hi, all! April is *not on meteorobs*, so please put her email address in the
"cc:" line if you respond.

April, what you describe sounds very distinctly like a bright meteor (or
"fireball" as they're usually known). You don't describe how QUICKLY the event
happened, but from your "very very fast speed", I'd guess it was no more than a
second or two?

The impression that a fireball is "very close overhead" is a really common one:
it's based on an optical illusion, which makes very bright objects of unknown
size (like the moving point of light of a meteor) appear nearby.

Write us back if you have more questions! By the way, you don't mention where
you were located: if you can give a good idea of time and sky direction of the
fireball, and exactly where you were located at the time, your observation may
be scientifically useful!

Take care,
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@latrade.com>