[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) An aside remark

I beleive satellites are visible through out night.  Not all satellites mind
you. The ones in near Earth orbit are only visible in a small window around dawn
and dusk.  Given the proper altitude, satellites can be seen throughout the
night.  I remember one dark and particularly cold and clear December night
whilst viewing Geminids I noticed a satellite in polar orbit.  It was through a
pair of binoculars though, I could not see it unaided.

>Being that they are a refection of a satellite, I would think they have to
>occur near sunset and/or sunrise. We observe meteors mostly between midnight
>(local) and dawn for the best counts. So only the meteors you see near dawn
>would cause a problem. But then again, go to the Iridium prediction page and
>download all the iridiums for that morning and you'll be able to tell when the
>iridiums are coming.
>
>Kevin

Follow-Ups: References: