[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: GSOC Satellite Predictions - Start Page

Robert Johnson wrote:

> For Pierre and John,
>
> Enter your country and city at the appropriate place on the enclosed
> site and it will give your lat. and long.
>
> Ottowa comes up as 45.42d north and 75.67d west.
>
> For more accuracy see if you can track someone down who has a GPS unit.

The data for Ottawa is nominal, for Toronto it is really nominal.  Not
worhtless, as it is adequate for casual visual observing.  Usually,
deriving your lat/lon off of a 1:50000 scale map is all you need except
for the most precise work such as video recording of lunar graze
occulatations.  There you really need a surveying quality GPS system.

I'm just too cheap to shell out the $$$ for a 1:50000 scale map soley to
get the lat/long.  I've yet to figure out a way for Toronto.  In Regina,
the city surveyor was very co-operative.  He even did the gps work a
nocharge and on his own time!

For those who haven't been on the site, you can embed your site data in
the url so when you want updates you don't have to enter your site data
again.  Very slick!!

Thanks for bringing this site to our attention.

Good stuff, Robert!

--
John Ohrt *** Toronto, ON, Canada *** mailto:johrt@ultidot net