[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: ? about Meteor Storm

Hi, ZZ's Dad(?), and thanks for writing!

The Leonid meteor shower did NOT storm last year - that anyone saw. However, it
is predicted to POSSIBLY storm either this year or in 1999. The maximum date
for this annual shower is November 16/17, and this is also the date on which
any storm would be predicted to occur.

You'll find more about the Leonids and their possible storm on the Web:
        http://www-space.arc.nasadot gov/~leonid

There is also ANOTHER meteor shower which has the possibility to storm this
year: the "Giacobinids" or "Draconids" shower, which reaches maximum around
October 8. Again, predictions for a storm can't be confirmed till the event.

However, there are a number of "normal" meteor showers which occur each and
every year, which can provide a gorgeous show if seen from a dark sky like
yours! (These include the Quadrantids in Jan, Perseids in Aug, and Geminids in
Dec, among others.) If you'd like to learn more about these, I strongly
encourage you to subscribe to our 'meteorobs' mailing list!

Let me know if you're interested in the list. Mean time, clear skies!

Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@latrade.com>