[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors and satellites

I am very much looking forward to the possible Leonids "storm" in November
1998 and possibly November 1999.   Since I am the resident "expert" in my
own circle of family and friends, I have been asked about the possible
damage to satellites by a "great meteor storm" in November!   (I think
they've been listening to "conservative talk radio"!)  We have had many
meteor showers since satellites appeared in our skies, and my first
response is to tell them to look forward to the meteor shower as I always
do, but now they have me wondering - does anyone out there believe that the
Leonids specifically will "take out" many of our orbiting, working
satellites?

Judy Headlee - Chandler, AZ