[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) ZAY's METEOR OBSERVING GUIDEBOOK

I would like to announce that I have put together my own meteor observing
guidebook. It covers such topics as:

a) How to Record Meteor Data both utilizing the Counting and Plotting methods.
b) Photographing Meteors.
c) Fireball Reporting.
d) FM radio monitoring and getting started.
e) A list of the Major Annual Meteor Showers and pertinent information about
them.
f) Examples of filled out forms with blank copies.
g) Charts showing Star Count areas.
h) And Information for beginners about general meteor activity.

I've included a variety of tips and insight acquired from my own experiences
and that what has been shared here on the Meteor observers mailing list. There
are two pages of photographs showing my Descanso observatory and Rotating
Shutter setup; A battery powered camera lens heating device that I made; A
bright satellite photograph; Two bright meteor photos that I took with a
rotating shutter equipped guided camera; and 5 more meteor photos all from a
guided camera. The book has about 100 photocopied pages that is spiral bound.

I am offering this book to anyone interested in beginner meteor observing at
no profit to me for only the cost of photocopying and mailing. For people in
the U.S. and Canada, this would come to $7 for photocopying and another $3 for
postage. The total would be $10. If you are interested in acquiring a copy
from me, please email me privately to make arrangements. I have already sent
out a few copies to some people...namely Cathy Hall in Canada, Wayne Hally in
N.J., John Ohrt in Canada, Tim Printy in Hawaii, Robert Lunsford in
California, and Mohammad Odeh In Jordan(It's still in route by slow mail). So
you might want to check with them for their opinion if this book is worth
getting? For those who acquire a copy, I have no objections if you make
additional copies for others. My purpose for the book is not to make a profit,
but rather to spread the word. The level is elementary and I believe easy to
understand. I think if you can adequately understand this book, you can easily
step up to IMO's more advanced Meteor Observing Handbook.
George Zay