[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Against Iridiums

Dear Colleagues,

I will make here an exception I have never made before.

To copy a LONG e-mail in its entire length within my message.

> Among many other pearls of "wisdom", Lew imparted:
>
> >far better for us if they can be constructed just as easily of components
> >which are less reflective (or show smaller reflective areas to the ground)
> >than those in current designs.
>
> The reason satellites are made of highly reflective materials is so they
> reflect the sunlight and not gather heat, sort of like a car baking in the
> hot sun. I imagine there *are* some coating materials which would reduce
> the glare and imagine that so far, there has been little reason to use them.
>
> But remember that the Iridium "flare" is the reflection from the solar
> panels, which cannot be covered so easily as with some kind of paint.
>
> >I think it may also help in the long run, to keep in sight the concerns of
> >ALL potentially interested parties - non-astronomers and amateurs as well as
> >professional radio and visual astronomers. This then opens up for us some
> >very powerful arguments: imagine describing graphically, in a broad public
> >forum, the effect on our children of finally (and basically irrevocably)
> >obliterating the night sky which we and our ancestors took for granted.
> That >ends up tying this back to the issue of Light Pollution reduction, too!
>
> Unfortunately, Lew, we astronomers are already behind the times in terms of
> recognizing the possible pollution that these satellites can and are
> planned to emit in the years to come. The *real* fight against these
> satellites actually became painfully-public for the satellite companies in
> 1996.
>
> These satellites are called LEO satellites, which means Low Earth Orbit.
> The orbit is low to reduce the radio path loss between earth and the birds.
> I don't know for a fact, but believe that the Iridium series is what is
> called a Little LEO bird because they are physically very small. By keeping
> the birds very small, the cost is also kept relatively low which is how the
> satellite companies can consider placing so many in orbit. The small size
> also allows launching many birds at once from the same rocket; and, of
> course, reduces the amount of real estate that such satellites consume once
> in orbit, allowing still more space "junk" to be launched.
>
> Almost two years ago, the Little LEO bird companies came up with a new
> radio frequency allocation plan for future Little LEO birds which, to put
> it mildly, tread on a lot of toes. Along with many other present users
> (including the US Government and the military of almost every country using
> V/UHF communications), the Little LEO companies proposed permanently taking
> part of several amateur radio bands for the permanent and exclusive use of
> Little LEO satellites. One of these bands is perhaps the most-used amateur
> radio VHF band, while another is where the overflow from the first band
> must go when there are no longer any open frequencies available in local
> areas (which is already true of most large American cities). The Little LEO
> [...]

This was a gem.

I ve been a "meteorobs digest" receiver for some time. And this digest was
the best so far, particularly of 2 messages, those of Harrison and Lew on
Iridiums.

I wrote my first editorial against Iridiums. For some time I have been
feeling as if alone. its nice to see there´s many others around the
world feeling the same.

Marko