[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) The Draconids: questions

Pierre Martin wrote:

> Does anyone know when exactly the peak is "expected" to occure this year?
> Which part of the world has the best chance to see it?
> Is there any past data/observations (previous years such as 1933 and 46)
> that could help determine the accuracy of those predictions ?
> Finally, did anyone in the world see any sign of activity last year
> around October 8-10 ?

I would like only to add some references to the answers written by
Robert Lunsford on June 10th.
An exceptional paper on meteor storms was written by Lubor Kresak in
1993 and deals mainly with Leonids, Draconids and Andromedids. There is
a detailed analysis on previous apparitions and dynamical evolution of
streams. The reference is:

L. Kresak, Cometary dust trails and meteor storms, ASTRONOMY AND
ASTROPHYSICS 279, (1993), 646.

Another useful paper is:

P. Jenniskens, Meteor stream activity - II. Meteor outbursts, ASTRONOMY
AND ASTROPHYSICS 295, (1995), 206.

Other informations can also be found in:

M. Beech, P. Brown and J. Jones, The potential danger to space platforms
from meteor storm activity, QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL
SOCIETY 36, (1995), 127.

About Draconids in particular, there is also the paper:

J.G. Davies and W. Turski, The formation of the Giacobinid meteor
stream, MONTHLY NOTICES OF THE ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY 123, (1962),
459.

Cheers,

Luigi

--