[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FW: David McCarter

>This paragraph made me curious: why would meteor researchers (of whatever
>stripe) choose the 1997 Leonids as a study case for meteoroid satellite
impact
>threats?

I believe this is because the Leonids are the best modeled stream at
present, and because the predicted rates are so very high.

Some of the best modeling, done by Peter Brown of University of Western
Ontario, takes into account the many passages of the comet over many
centuries, particle quantities and velocities leaving the comet while so
close to the sun, orbital shifts caused by Jupiter, expected partical
densities in the stream, all that kind of stuff. Visual and radar
observations have provided very good data for the model. I have seen some
of this work, and the expected number of meteors last year fit the model
very well. If I understood correctly the model predicts that the dense
portion of the stream will be just outside our own path both this year and
next, hence the predictions for increased activity.

Peter will be describing his work to members of the London Centre of the
RASC this month. Pity I will be at the General Assembly in Victoria then.
Can't be in two places at once!

>I feel a li'l bit reactionary, being so skeptical about the "meteoroid
storm
>threat" (not to mention "the PHA threat").

Sorta "The sky is falling" thing eh? I guess we will see in the fullness of
time.

Lew, because of my troubles posting directly to the net, I have CCed to you
as well.

Dave

And Kim wrote:
>it mentions both the solar flare problems,
>and the Leonid meteor storm in November.

And I quote from the article:

>>Because of Earth's position at that time, the showers of 200 to
>>5000 meteors an hour will not be visible from the United States,
>> but will be brightest from the vicinity of Japan, Korea, Okinawa,
>>and Northern Australia, and will last five or six days.

Spot the mistake? Geez if it lasts that long we'll all have a good look.

Pity really.

Dave

David McCarter
Professor Electronics General Servicing
Fanshawe College London, Ontario, Canada
R.A.S.C. London Centre      VE3GSO