[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Photo question

<< I have a question.  I am interested in taking photos of meteors, the moon
 and other things at night.  What kind of camera or photographic equipment
 would I need? >>

The first thing you'll need is a SLR camera and tripod. The type camera with a
"B" setting. My favorite is the old Olympus OM-1.
For meteors you'll need a wide angle lens. Open the aperature for a few
minutes in a portion of sky and wait.

For the moon, you need a good telephoto lens. Moon pictures are typically just
a snap shot. Hope this helps.

<<Check astronomy magazines for the types of film to use, whether colour or
black & white.>>

IMHO as far as meteors go, I'm photographing meteors for the research aspect
not for the art so I use B&W  (T-Max 1600, pulled).

<<The simplest photography requires a manual camera.  Electronic ones use
up batteries quickly holding shutters open for all but the brightest
objects such as the moon.>>

I'd like to add that the batteries seem to get eaten more quickly in the
winter while photographing in the cold.

Kevin