[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: photographing the night sky

Richard writes->

>You expressed an interest in photographing the night sky. An ordinary SLR
>camera with a T setting, plus a sturdy tripod to mount the camera, is all
>that is required. Check astronomy magazines for the types of film to use,
>whether colour or black & white. The T setting is an important feature as
>it allows you to vary the exposure duration, which would be long for
>astronomical objects.

and then Terry writes->

>Don't  throw away your camera if it lacts the T setting. Most don't have
>them now. But if the camera has b (bulb) setting and can use a cable
>release, then they are just as useful for astrophotography.

A T setting starts the exposure when you press the shutter button and holds
the shutter button open until you press the button again. A B setting means
you have to hold the shutter button ( or the cable release ) down. However,
you can buy cable releases that do the holding down for you. One I own has
a clamp screw to hold it down: another has a ring around the plunger - you
press the plunger down to start the exposure and press the ring to finish.

My only worry about these gadgets is that they make it easy to apply
unnecessary force to the camera's shutter button.