[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tennessee meteorite?

At 05:31 PM 6/18/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I ran across the news this morning, and was lead to believe that it had
>basic characteristics of a meteorite.  Fused on one side, light grey
>material in the middle edges.  Hey the news has been wrong before.  Does any
>one know if there is a history of recovered meteorites in Tenn?
>
>Thanks...
>
>~Jeremy Clay
>Atlanta, GA

I just got a call from Lewis Levine, the museum curator who had possession
of the meteor today. He just mailed it to the proper people at the
Smithsonian. They will identify it and if it is meteoric, it will be sent
to the Pacific Northwest Laboratory to be analyzed for nucleotide activity.
The object is definitely ferrous.

Carlos Trenary			Lab=	615-322-6950
Vanderbilt University		Direct=	615-322-7511
Microcomputer Lab		pager=	615-951-2246
Box 81 Station B		email=	carlos.trenary@vanderbiltdot edu
Room 119 Garland Hall
Nashville TN 37235

Systems Administrator
Network Manager for the Social Sciences.