[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June 20/21 1998 observation

Hello all,

I observed again alone last Saturday night under the clear 6.25 skies
of my observing site. Despite an uncontrolable level of mosquitoes and
hundreds of fireflies all night, I watched for almost 4 full hours
(3.81 teff). I got in total 28 meteors. Of these, 2 Sagittarids, 2
Theta Ophiuchids, 1 Tau Aquarid, 1 Tau Cetid and 22 sporadics. Activity started slow with only 3 meteors the first hour, 6 for the second and
only 3 for the third. The last hour, as dawn was quickly approaching,
a pleasant 15 meteors were seen. The nicest meteor was a slow, orange
Theta Ophiuchid flaring to magnitude 0. Another sporadic of mag. 0 was
seen. Otherwise, faint meteors of mag. 4 and 5 were predominant. I did
not get as many of the very swift meteors coming from the east as seen
the previous night. I plotted only 3 that are probably associated with
Tau Aquarids and Tau Cetids. I recall seeing a good number of these
very fast shower meteors around this time last year. I personnaly dont
agree with TAQ and CET being rated class 4 (or 5 ?) showers. These 2 radiants are always situated very low in my sky, but I still manage
to catch some activity.

The rest of the week looks quite good for weather in Ottawa. I likely
will be out a few more coming nights.

Here is the data below:

DATE: June 20/21 1998                   BEGIN: 3:25 UT  END: 7:30 UT
LOCATION: Long: -75.454 West; Lat: 45.079 North   Elevation: 395feet
City & Province: Winchester, Ontario, CAN

PERIOD(UT)  FIELD   Teff   F     LM    SAG TOP TAQ CET SPO
3:25-4:27   S60d    0.98  1.00   6.2    0   1   1   0    1
4:31-5:35   S60d    1.00  1.00   6.25   1   1   0   0    5
5:35-6:36   S60d    1.00  1.00   6.25   0   0   0   0    3
6:36-7:30   S60d    0.83  1.00   6.05   1   0   0   1   13
                    3.81                2   2   1   1   22 = 28 total

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER    0  +1  +2  +3  +4  +5  +6

SAG       0   0   1   0   0   1   0
TOP       1   0   0   0   1   0   0
TAQ       0   0   0   0   1   0   0
CET       0   0   0   0   1   0   0
SPO       1   0   1   3   6  10   1
-----------------------------------
Totals    2   0   2   3   9  11   1

Total dead time: 12 min
Breaks: 4:27-4:31

Pierre Martin                                             .  .      .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN                              / /   .     .  .   .   .
Visual meteor observer                          // /       / . .    .   .
Ottawa Astro Observers Group                    / /   .   *      .   .
Graphic Designer (National Aviation Museum)   =/ / |\      .       .      .