[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Major meteor outburst: clouded out!!

Hello,

>IAU -C22 PRO-AMAT WORKING GROUP   CIRCULAR

>OUTBURST ALERT - JUNE 27/28

>A meteor outburst was first detected by Japanese observers on 9h UT June
>27th,
>from an increase of meteor rates by radio-foreward meteor scatter signals
>(K. Suzuki, M. Ueda: 3-5 times above normal rates),
>with confirmation from visual observers. Raw rates of up to 50 meteors/hr
>were observed in the early evening (indirect reports via M. Takanashi
>and M. Koseki - NMS). Italian observers Roberto Haver, Enrico Stomeo and
>Roberto Gorelli (UAI- Sezione Meteore) observed the same outburst between
>21:20 June 27 and 01:30 UT June 28, with Zenith Hourly Rates above 100.
>The shower was also reported from Portugal, where astronomer Derek Penn
>counted 27 outburst meteors in 15 minutes. The sighting is confirmed
>from California, where observers noticed the meteors on June 28 around 5h
>UT.

Darn!!! No luck for me here in Ottawa again for last night! All forecast
predictions call for overcast skies and rain the next couple days.
It could clear up for good only on Wednesday.

My attempted viewing of June 27/28 was a failure because of clouds,
lighning and the occasional drop of rain. I did catch a few suspect
meteors in the few scattered holes in the sky.

I'll keep an eye out again tonight for clear breaks (!). If anything
comes up from me, i'll report back ASAP.

Hope other observers around the world have better luck with this major
meteor outburst.

Good luck to all..and CLEAR SKIES!!!

Pierre Martin                                             .  .      .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN                              / /   .     .  .   .   .
Visual meteor observer                          // /       / . .    .   .
Ottawa Astro Observers Group                    / /   .   *      .   .
Graphic Designer (National Aviation Museum)   =/ / |\      .       .      .