[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June Bootids

I was happy to see all the reports of the June Bootid outburst.  The event
was witnessed by several observers in South Africa too on the evening of
June 27.  This included 4 fireball reports I received so far.

As for me, I missed the outburst, due to observing an occultation of a star
by minor planet 248 Lameia.  I saw a long pathed June Bootid while waiting
for my eyes to dark adapt, then commenced a 20 minute watch of the magnitude
7.8 star.  Happily we witnessed the occultation, and five of us obtained
good chords across the minor planet, including a six second disappearance in
my case.  As a result we will be able to derive a very accurate diameter of
the minor planet from the timings.  Needless to say, I'm disappointed at not
witnessing the meteor outburst first hand, but we are over the moon with the
occultation results.

Bye for now
Tim