[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June 29/30 1998 observation

Hello,

Shortly before midnight last night (Monday), Cathy Hall called to alert
me of apparently clearing skies overhead. I rushed to set up and go
into my backyard to observe. Between 4:05 and 6:55 UT, I managed only
1.22 teff (a little over one hour) of useful observing. I often had to
call breaks and wait for clouds to pass by. My field of view had to
constantly change to look into the clearest areas of the sky. Around
the thick cumulus clouds, lightning flashed and the occasional light
rain shower could be felt. It turned out to be another lousy humid night.
However I did catch some meteor activity in the clear (limit. magnitude
5.8 at best) breaks. 8 sporadics to report. Of those, one is a possible
Tau Aquarid and another, a possible Tau Cetid. Nothing really bright.
No activity was seen from the June Bootids or from anything around
that area. Here is the data:

DATE: June 29/30 1998                   BEGIN: 4:05 UT  END: 6:55 UT
LOCATION: Long: -75.491 West; Lat: 45.474 North      Elevation: 100m
City & Province: Orléans, Ontario, CAN

PERIOD(UT)  FIELD   Teff   F     LM     SPO
4:05-4:37   SW80d   0.42  1.06   5.75    3
5:46-6:54   SW80d   0.80  1.09   5.78    5
                    1.22                 8

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER   +2  +3  +4

SPO       3   4   1

Total dead time: 9 min
Breaks: 4:37-6:05

Pierre Martin                                             .  .      .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN                              / /   .     .  .   .   .
Visual meteor observer                          // /       / . .    .   .
Ottawa Astro Observers Group                    / /   .   *      .   .
Graphic Designer (National Aviation Museum)   =/ / |\      .       .      .