[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) July 2/3 1998 observation

Hello,

I observed the night of July 2/3 from my dark site near Winchester,
south of Ottawa. I signed on just about moonset.  It was clear at
first, but thin cirrus clouds began moving gradually, limiting my
visual magnitude to 6.2. It turned out to be a short session. I was
forced to sign off after only one hour before thin clouds started causing
serious problems. However, during my hour, I did catch a very pleasant
12 sporadics. Of those, 4 are plotted. One is a possible early Perseid
(from a theoretical radiant I have plotted to this date), another could
be a possible Tau Cetid or early Perseid but was quite far from
the Tau Cetid radiant. I plotted one very fast velocity meteor
that seemed to come from the bottom half of Pegasus. Shortly
before I left the site after I signed off, I noticed 2 very fast
meteors at 7:14 UT that also came from an area in lower Pegasus.
This should be my last night out. The clouds (and moon!) are
back for now. I certainly look forward to start observing
again beginning mid-July (when the weather cooperates!)

Here is the data below:

DATE: July 2/3 1998                   BEGIN: 5:40 UT  END: 6:43 UT
LOCATION: Long: -75.454 West; Lat: 45.079 North   Elevation: 395feet
City & Province: Winchester, Ontario, CAN

PERIOD(UT)  FIELD   Teff   F     LM    SPO
5:40-6:43   SE70d   0.98  1.00   6.2    12

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER   +2  +3  +4

SPO       3   3   6
--------------------

Total dead time: 4 min
Breaks: none

Pierre Martin                                           .  .      .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN                            / /   .     .  .   .
Visual meteor observer                        // /       / . .    .
Ottawa Astro Observers Group                  / /   .   *      .   .
Graphic Designer (National Aviation Museum) =/ / |\      .       .