[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet DIGEST 09/07/98

>[Several items from this issue seemed right on-topic, so
>I've excerpted them below... Happy reading! -Lew Gramer]

>CCNet DIGEST 9 July 1998

>(1) GREENLAND IMPACT ZONE OF GIANT METEORITE CONFIRMED
>      CNN Interactive
>      http://cnn.com/TECH/space/9807/08/metorite.dust/index.html

Hi Lew,

This is a mild exaggeration by the press, I believe. The Danish scientists
involved have stated that a relation between the December meteorite and the
meteoritic dust sampled from the ice is suspected but *not* confirmed.

For more information check the homepage of Tycho Brahe Planetarium at:
http://www.astro.ku.dk/tycho/tbe98/english/

Unfortunately they are reconstructing their English pages right now, so
unless you understand Danish.....
However the link might come in handy, since the Planetarium organizes the
search expedition that leaves Copenhagen on July 22nd and probably will post
news here.

It is rumoured that Danish television (DR) will transmit a 5 minute status
report each day. My source has also mentioned negotiations between DR and
BBC and/or Discovery Channel, but I don't know the outcome. Sometimes DR
puts a program on the net. If this happens, I'll post the URL here.
In the meantime you can find the information DR has at:

http://www.dr.dk/ddr/color/meteor/eng/meteor.htm

Holger Pedersen, a member of the scientist team involved, maintains a
regularly updated site at:
http://www.astro.ku.dk/~holger/

On behalf of Copenhagen Astronomical  Society I maintain some pages at:
http://www2.dk-online.dk/users/hpersson/meteor/meteor.htm
These pages are not updated anymore, but they contain some eyewitness
reports and drawings, if you have not seen them already.

greetings
Henrik