[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Louisiana fireball

Hi, list:

I have received some phone calls here at the planetarium from our local
news media regarding a possible fireball seen last night (Sunday, July
12) around 10 - 11 PM CDT (03 - 04 UT, July 13) in western Louisiana.
I, naturally, missed it!  People in the town of DeRidder are convinced
it hit near them, and the local law enforcement officers are apparently
out looking for meteorites.  I'm skeptical, but the TV people want an
interview.

Does anyone have any information or observations of this?  The reporter
who called me had unconfirmed rumors that it had been seen in Galveston
and Mississippi also, which makes me suspect that it really didn't hit
anywhere near DeRidder.

I'm supposed to do a couple of TV interviews about this today, so if
anyone has observations, please let me know.

Thanks!

Dave Hostetter