[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re: (meteorobs) Louisiana fireball

In a message dated 7/14/98 4:47:36 PM, Geo Zay wrote:

<<And this of course is a lot of yada yada baloney>>

While we have many skeptics, following is some additional material sent to a
fellow astronomer.

"It was very pleassnt for me to discuss meteor stories with you. I immediately
went out and bought your book,  I have a long way to go to finish it but I
have a good start.

As I told you I am retired structural engineer and amateur astronomer from
Trans  World Airlines and I am about 99.9% sure a meteor was involved in the
downing of Flt 800. I have been researching meteors for many months and have
found some interesting data. I have documented three cases where commerical
airlines have felt the turbulence from meteors. I also have data where at
least two ships have been hit by meteors,

I believe we have good data from the Flight Data Recorder (FDR) that shows
there was an explosion outside Flt 800 that initiated the demise of Flt 800,.
We believe it came from a meteor. Following is an incidence that happened on
March 27, 1998 at 2:40 AM on Aloha cargo plane at 18,000 feet.

 Best Regards ,  Lloyd Mielke, Kansas City, Missouri

 Following is msg to me regarding the meteor seen over Hawaii on March 27,
1998:

Dear Lloyd,

Thank you for you letter.  Very interesting theory.  To respond to your
questions.

1) Yes - White - then white/green with a smoke trail - at one point the streak
became so bright as to be unviewable.  We had to avert our eyes.

2) It was more of a transition - it might have exploded but there was no
concussion - it was almost as if someone had a restat control on a very bright
halogen bulb.  At first they slowly turn up the reostat then all of a sudden
peg it to full intensity then at the same rate at which it initially was
brought up, the light was reduced again.

3) 18K

4) No way of knowing - no frame of reference - somewhere between 1-2 miles and
20-30 miles.

5) No

6) It definitely went down over ocean.  There was no way to tell if it
actually impacted the ocean.

Comments:  The Capt's eyes actually watered from looking at the phenomena.  We
both agreed that the temperature had increased in the cockpit after the
phenomena by a few degrees.

At its brightest all the stars were unviewable - this light was bright enough
that it appeared to be daylight for 1-2 seconds.  After it began to dissapate
the green color became evident.

I hope this helps please feel free to ask me any more questions if you please.
Any comments or answers I give are mine and mine only.  They in no way reflect
the opinions or beliefs of my employer, Aloha Airlines.