[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Those Meteor Movies - a review

<<Question: How many millions of years would it take for a Texas
sized asteroid to collide with earth ? What are the real probabilities
of a VERY unlikely event like this?>>

There was one scientist on either the Learning Channel or the Discovery
Channel when they were doing documentries to tie in with the two movies.
Anyway, he said that we will have as much warning as the dinosaurs did.  How
many times have we all read in Sky & Tel that an asteroid came withing the
Earth-Moon orbit and we didn't even notice it until it was already outbound. I
guess we could start a grass roots movement within all the amateur
obseervatories world wide to have a focus group within to look for these
things.But we don't have the technology to do anything about it anyway, we
can't blow them up (a popular solution), we don't have the solar sails that
have been talked about, so the best thing to do is not even worry about it

<< Kevin, I really wonder what got into the mind of Hollywood. Why do they
insist on wiping out NYC? >>

I think its all the recognizable buildings and things - World Trade Ctr.,
Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge on and on...

Kevin

PS - has anyone heard from any of the WV travelers yet. I've been looking at
the satellite images and the're not having the clearest of skies :(