[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Possible outburst from 1997 BR !

>Just as twilight was ending last night (around 2h UT, July 18), and shortly
>after seeing a nice Iridium flare, one observer yelled out that he just saw
>two short meteors "back to back" heading south. Someone else chimed in that
>they had seen a similar meteor, again heading south, just a minute
>earlier. We
>all looked up and couldn't believe what we were witnessing.
>
>Starting at about 9:50 pm EDT July 17 (1:50 UT July 18), there was an
>unexpected "shower" of meteors! The rate started out at 1 or 2 per minute,
>but
>then tapered down and virtually died out by 10:15 pm EDT. The meteor streaks
>were very short, only 1 or 2 degrees long. The magnitude was around 2. The
>trails faded out immediately. The meteors may have been concentrated around
>the Big Dipper, Draco, Bootes, and Hercules area. All of them were heading
>due south, so we couldn't determine a likely radiant.
>
>As far as we know, there is no known shower for this date. We speculated that
>it may have been the tail end of a rare daytime shower. Did anyone else see
>these? Anyone have any ideas?
>
>John Holtz
>JWHoltz@aol.com<<

I observed last night under good clear skies. Unfo0rtunately, I was out
just
after midnight unbtil dawn when the sky cleared. I kept an eye out for
possible
meteors from 1997 BR, but nothing was seen. I will be out all night
tonight. I have
not seen such a good blue sky for a long time. Meteors from 1997 BR would
be very slow
and radiate from near Ursa Major.

I'll report my observations in more detail ASAP!

Hope others get some clear skies!

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *