[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio Meteors - whistling sound?

Mike B wrote:

 >>>Because of interference on 83.25 MHz I dropped to 83.24 MHz and began
hearing meteors, but also I heard a whistling type sound like a bomb
falling.. EEEEEEeeeeeee.... is this a meteor?<<<

I use antenna to the cavity filter set at 83.25 MHz to the ICOM- R-10
radio.

I dropped to 20 MHz and my needle was almost pinned to hear WWV also on 15
and 10MHz !! I can only assume there is some type of Ionospheric
interference for this to happen? Been going on for near 1 week now.

Mike<<<<

Hi  Mike,

WWV broadcasts at the frequencies of 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz. So it's
normal to get WWV where you said. During solar minimum there wasn't enough
ionosphere to support broadcasts at 20 MHz. Now that solar activity is
stronger WWV is accessible at 20 MHz during the daytime.

The whistling sound is most probably not a meteor.

Radio meteor-wise:  Sorry about your interference. It is the bane of radio
astronomy.
Didn't you mention that your antenna is a dipole? If it is, a dipole
antenna receives electro-magnetic radiation from nearly all directions. In
a metropolitan situation a dipole picks up interference from automobiles
and electric lines.

If you live in close proximity to other electricity users then your radio
can be picking up interferences through your own electric line/wall outlet.
Whenever a neighbor uses a motorized appliance like a juicer, drill, hair
dryer, etc. you might likely receive it. Also car electronics and
motorcycles are receivable. Even appliances within your own household--like
a modem or a refrigerator that comes on intermittently may make
interference at your 83 MHz listening frequency. ----Tom Ashcraft