[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Alan B. Shepard, Jr. 1923 - 1998

All,

Thanks to Mark Davis for posting the obituary on Alan Shepard.  As the
biography said, he was a native of Derry, NH, which is not far from my home
in Nashua.  Ironically, I returned this evening (7/23) from helping lead my
son's Cub Scout pack for a week at Camp Carpenter in Manchester, NH.  The
news of Alan Shepard's death greatly saddened all of us at the camp,
because had been an active Scout during his youth.  He donated many small
items of memorabilia, including a flag which went to the moon, to the
Lawrence Lee Scouting Museum, which is on the grounds of Camp Carpenter.
The scouting community in New Hampshire was proud of perhaps its most
famous native son.