[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Alpha Cygnids surprise

Hello Pierre,

Interresting note. Can you by time supplie some real numbers?
I have not been able to observe after July 21/22. Normally, you can
expect some 2-4 alfa Cygnids/hour if conditions are good.  That is based
on my 1990 and 1998 experience so far. In 1998 I saw noticable activity
on July 23, that is: about 2-3/hour (and I believe Peter Jenniskens had
similar results).
That could perhaps be some guideline against which to check your data.
Note that when observing south, there is some possibility of early
Perseids lining up (but they are slightly faster, and have very long
trails due to the radiant at larger distance).
Alfa Cygnids should be inbetween Geminids and Quadrantids in apparent
velocity (i.e. about 40 km/s).
Our DMS results (Jenniskens, Astron. Astroph. 1994) gives ZHR around 2
around this time, the article by Olech et al. only slightly higher. But
with the radiant almost in the zenith, you can expect to see the full ZHR.

-Marco